Development DirectorCompany: Santa Barbara Humane Society
Date Posted: March 25, 2018
SANTA BARBARA HUMANE SOCIETY
JOB TITLE: Development Director
DEPARTMENT: Development and Marketing
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
EFFECTIVE DATE: March 25, 2018
SUMMARY: Provides general direction to the Development & Marketing Department of the Santa Barbara Humane Society. Directs communicating a unified message regarding the mission and vision of the organization to the public.
Development: Oversees development programs including individual gifts and membership donations, corporate donations, planned giving, donor recognition, donor cultivation, direct appeals, grant writing, fundraising events, employee fairs, and all other giving aspects. Along with other directors and the Executive Director, provides leadership and direction in the short-and long-range strategic plan for the Santa Barbara Humane Society. Directs capital campaign projects.
Marketing & Public Relations: Oversees marketing strategy to position the Santa Barbara Humane Society within the community and within the animal welfare industry. Directs all media opportunities and inquiries. Oversees all social media content and website.
Grants: Responsible for all Development grant writing and reporting, researching new grant sources and managing grant volunteers.
Reporting & Recordkeeping: Manages budget materials and coordinates with Finance Department re: reporting requirements and capital campaign pledge collection. Oversees the organization’s donor database, maintains donor records, and strategically develops queries for analytics and stewardship.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Planning and Management
- Create and implement detailed annual development and marketing plan with team members. The plan will include strategies and activities for donor cultivation, solicitation and relationship building.
- Prepare and submit proposed annual department income and expenditure budget to Executive Director. Assure compliance with expense budget and achievement of revenue targets.
- Provide monthly and quarterly reports regarding progress on development and marketing plan to management and the Board of Directors.
- Serve as member of agency management team.
- Act as staff liaison wit Board Committees as appointed. Works with Committees to develop and implement strategies to increase revenue and expand brand awareness.
- Creates and implements development and marketing policies and procedures in collaboration with Board Committees and the Board of Directors.
Development and Marketing
- Oversee all development, marketing and outreach department programs and research. Work with the Executive Director and other leadership to design and implement additional development campaigns, as required, including direction of capital campaign
- Develop a comprehensive planned-giving program.
- Interface and cooperate with other departments within the organization to achieve mutual goals.
- Join/participate in appropriate professional/community organizations, such as Planned Giving Roundtable, AFP, NCPG, NSFRE, and others as necessary.
Donor Database and Information Management
- Assure that all donor data is maintained confidentially. Create and implement gift processing procedures that incorporate donor confidentiality. Assure that all physical files are stored in a locked cabinet.
- Assure that all gifts are acknowledged appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Review adequacy and effectiveness of the electronic customer relationship management and donation receipt software, making changes as needed.
- Assure that team members are trained on the core software systems used for documenting, processing and tracking contributions of all types.
- The Development Director directly supervises the Public relations and event coordinator and the Volunteer Coordinator and provides leadership to the development team.
- The Director provides performance planning, training and coaching to assist the staff members in successfully carrying out the jobs. The Director documents issues in performance and carries out disciplinary processes, as needed, based on the steps outlined in the Employee Manual.
- The Director completes annual performance evaluations for direct reports in a timely manner based on each employee’s anniversary date.
- When staff positions are vacant, the Director recruits, interviews and hires new employees, in consultation with the Executive Director.
- Assure that employees are knowledgeable about and follow all organizational policies and procedures.
- Make conscious effort to maintain departmental employee turnover rate within the national industry standards.
- Bachelor's Degree (BA) from a four-year college or university in business administration, marketing and communications or related field.
- At least five years of experience in the not for profit sector, fundraising, or marketing or comparable experience in the for profit sector, including at least two years of management responsibility.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical and planning skills.
- Demonstrated human resources management knowledge and skills.
- Proven relationship building and customer service skills.
- Good ability to use various computer software programs, including Microsoft Office, donor databases and point of sale systems.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule to accommodate fundraising, volunteer and external events and meetings.
- Diversity - Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on the value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Delegation - Delegates work assignments; Matches the responsibility to the person; Gives authority to work independently; Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; Provides recognition for results.
- Judgement - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Teamwork - Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license and driving record acceptable to Santa Barbara Humane Societies insurance carrier. May drive company vehicle in performance of company business.
- Must be able to lift/carry 25 lbs. or more
- Work is completed in an office within an animal shelter.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please send cover letter and Resume/CV to Clair@sbhumanesociety.org