Institutional Giving AssociateCompany: Storm King Art Center
Date Posted: May 1, 2018
Storm King Art Center seeks an Institutional Giving Associate to join a growing team and organization.
About Storm King Art Center
Widely celebrated as one of the world’s leading sculpture parks, Storm King Art Center has welcomed visitors from across the globe for over fifty years. Located only one hour north of New York City, in the lower Hudson Valley, its 500 acres of rolling hills, woodlands, and fields of native grasses and wildflowers provide the setting for a collection of more than 100 carefully sited sculptures created by some of the most acclaimed artists of our time.
For additional information, visit www.stormking.org.
About the Role
Storm King Art Center is seeking an Institutional Giving Associate to join its growing External Affairs department. This new position will report to the Associate Director, Institutional Giving & Project Support, and will strengthen engagement and cultivation of institutional donors, including foundations and corporations and manage private institutional events throughout the year. The new Institutional Giving Associate will collaborate with the external affairs team in growing philanthropic support for the organization through identifying, cultivating, and soliciting foundations, corporations, and government funding with priorities and interests in alignment with Storm King’s mission.
The new Associate will possess a strong working knowledge of best practices achieved through having worked in a similar capacity at other organizations. Successful candidates will have enthusiasm for Storm King’s programming and mission, complemented by a background in development, grants or proposal development.
- Identify, develop, and manage foundation, corporate and government partnerships.
- Cultivate and manage relationships with both foundations and corporations whose funding priorities align with Storm King’s mission.
- Identify and cultivate opportunities for corporate partnership programs.
- Manage relationships with a portfolio of corporate and foundation funders.
- Develop, draft, edit, finalize, and submit grant proposals as agreed upon within External Affairs yearly plan.
- Support the grant renewal process for corporate and foundation donors and prospects.
- Participate in the development and evaluation of goals and objectives for the foundation, government, and corporate relations program.
- Continuously monitor, measure and evaluate External Affairs deliverables and calendar deadlines.
- Effectively interact with the External Affairs team, Senior Staff, staff, and board members.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor's degree with at least 3 years of experience in meeting goals and getting desired results from external partners. At least 5 years of experience in fundraising, grant writing, proposal development, sales or related fields may substitute for higher education requirement.
- Exceptionally persuasive in verbal and written communication.
- Evidence of creative and innovative execution of ideas that influence deeper engagement and financial support from corporate leaders.
- Ability to develop strong relationships with donors with the highest degree of professionalism. Knowledge of institutional donors and basic fundraising techniques and strategies.
- Strong evidence of self-direction, motivation and ability to manage competing priorities for time and attention in a fast-paced environment, while meeting deadlines.
- Must be flexible and open to changing needs and priorities.
- Ability to work as part of a team, integrating ideas with colleagues.
- Strong familiarity with computer systems and a willingness and ability to use new systems and software.
- Experience working within a traditional development department
- Development experience during a capital campaign
- Proficiency with Altru or other Blackbaud products, such as Raiser’s Edge
- Exposure to grantsmanship or proposal development
- Experience in arts or cultural institutions or nonprofits
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Works in an office environment
- Frequently sits for long periods of time
- Frequently speaks, reads, writes and uses a computer keyboard
- Must be able to work and walk outside in a variety of weather conditions
- Requires standing, lifting, stooping, or bending
- Works on weekends and evenings during the season for special events
- Ability to travel locally and to NYC is required
This position is eligible for the full benefit package including a generous paid time off program, medical, dental, vision, 403(b), and more.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and professional writing sample (at least three (3) pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Institutional Giving Associate” in the subject. Only complete applications will receive full consideration. No phone calls please.
Storm King Art Center is dedicated to fostering a diverse workplace. Storm King Art Center is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit.
People who are of color, gender oppressed, LGBTQ, immigrants with work permission, and people of diverse social and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Storm King Art Center does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other related consideration.