Prospect ResearcherCompany: Lawrence University
Date Posted: May 10, 2018
Lawrence University, Appleton, Wisconsin
REPORTS TO: Assistant Vice President of Development
LOCATION: Wilson House or remote location (with periodic travel to campus)
Visit the Lawrence website to apply online.
This position will support the college’s fundraising efforts through prospect identification, prospect research, and prospect data management. Research efforts will focus primarily on individual donors, but will also include corporate and foundation research. This position will help ensure that prospect data is accurately recorded within the university’s database and will work collaboratively with development officers and operations staff.
- Respond to research requests from development officers and leadership, implement prospect identification projects, and handle other research and data intensive projects.
- Using a variety of prospect research tools, screen and assess existing and potential donors, conduct detailed prospect research, and synthesize findings into written summaries. In accordance with established methodologies, compute philanthropic capacity range.
- Read call reports to keep apprised of development activity with donors and ensure that prospect data is accurately recorded.
- Assist with the preparation of materials and attend prospect review meetings with development officers and alumni-development staff. Record changes to prospect data in database (including financial ratings, prospect ratings, strategy, and other data).
- Assist with the documentation of prospect research policies and procedures.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s degree and excellent writing skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to think critically, effectively organize information, and communicate clearly.
- Minimum of three years of prospect research or related experience required, preferably in a higher education setting.
- Experience with free and subscription-based prospect research software (which may include Lexis Nexis Development Pro, Noza, SEC’s EDGAR database, Funding Information Network, or others).
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Must have successful completion of criminal record check, driving record check (as applicable), and reference checks.
LIST OF APPLICATION MATERIALS
Please submit resume, cover letter including a brief statement outlining ways in which you would support the university’s mission of fostering a welcoming, diverse, and inclusive learning community, and a two to three paragraph essay describing how prospect research plays an important role in the fundraising process.
We encourage applications from individuals who will help us create a more inclusive Lawrence by: 1) further diversifying the staff; and/or 2) demonstrating experience with successful diversity-related initiatives; and 3) showing commitment to the ongoing development of the cultural competence necessary to address the needs of diverse employees and students. Lawrence University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from women and individuals of diverse backgrounds.
Appleton, Wisconsin, United States