AFP Top Ten (Week of June 7, 2017): Streaming Live Events, More Emails, Resiliency and Creating a Culture of Philanthropy
Need some tips on how to do your job better? Or maybe just a reminder on some key skills, the insight on the latest research, and the latest, coolest ideas from the best minds in the fundraising profession?
Each week, AFP gathers the top blog posts, videos, articles and other resources to help you keep on top of latest trends and reach your fundraising goals. Here’s this week’s Top Ten:
1. Tips for a Smooth Transition from a Millennial Job Hopper (Hilborn): A certain Millennial job hopper who also just might happen to be one of AFP’s Outstanding Young Professionals. Just sayin’.
2. Tips and Tricks That Every Fundraising Event Planner Should Know (The Grable Group): Organizing fundraising events can put much pressure on your shoulders. Forget about stress for a moment—here are some tips and tricks which will help any fundraising event planner organize upcoming festivities like a pro.
3. The Simplest Donor Retention Tip of All Time (Classy): Context and personalization can make a dramatic difference when it comes to your new donor retention rates. Start the relationship off on the right foot by letting donors know your organization is listening and that you care.
4 .Two Insights, One Education (Lilly Family School of Philanthropy): A very interesting piece on the importance of knowing your history (your philanthropic history, that is) and nurturing talent within the field. Well worth reading.
5. Four Reasons Why Your Nonprofit Should Pay More Attention to LinkedIn Pages in 2017 (Nonprofit Tech for Good): Lots of reasons to focus on LinkedIn, including lots of engagement, good analytics and the demographics of users.
6. Give Donors the Respect They Deserve (101fundraising): If we spend more time, energy and money on the creation of the best experiences for our donors, then they’ll stay longer with us and we’ll raise more funds, says Reinier Spruit. Invest wisely in fundraising, and your income will rise far more than your expenses.
7. “We Need to Talk”: How to Break Up (or Make Up) with Board Members (Network for Good): Yes, your board members are volunteers, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t hold them to certain expectations. Here’s what to do when you have a board member who isn’t performing up to their fullest potential.
8. A Tale of Two Appeals: The One You Want to Write Vs. the One Donors, Prospects Want to Read (PJ Barden, Inc.): How many times has it happened? You think you’ve written a fundraising masterpiece, only no one responded. So what happened? PJ Barden explains.
9. The Blackbaud Giving Index (Blackbaud): The Blackbaud Index reported that overall charitable giving to nonprofits increased 0.2 percent while online giving increased 9.9 percent for the three months ending April 2017 compared to the same period in 2016.
10. Why It’s Time to Re-Think the Self-Mailer (Stelter Insights): Nathan Stelter says it’s time to consider retiring the self-mailer. Why? Because more than ever, personalization is key.