AFP Top Ten (Week of September 27, 2017): Sponsorship Packages, Philanthropic Advisors, PSAs, Special Event Ideas & More!
Need some tips on how to do your job better? Or maybe just a reminder on some key skills, the insight on the latest research, and the latest, coolest ideas from the best minds in the fundraising profession?
Each week, AFP gathers the top blog posts, videos, articles and other resources to help you keep on top of latest trends and reach your fundraising goals. Here’s this week’s Top Ten:
1. The Three Things Missing from Every Sponsorship Package (And the One Thing There Is Too Much Of!) (Charity Village): Chris Baylis discusses the three things that are missing from 99% of sponsorship packages that he sees, yet 100% of the sponsors he talks to want to see.
2. Effective Donations Providing Money to Keep the Engine Running (Hilborn: Charity eNews): We shouldn’t use overhead ratios to tell us how much impact an organization is having. Instead, we should use overhead ratios to help us understand the bigger picture, that is, to help us ask questions about why and how an organization is making a difference and what resources it needs to be successful.
3. This Is How You Create Better Partnerships in Times of Turmoil (Wild Woman Fundraising): Mazarine Treyz interviews Bruce Burtch about the key mindset shift nonprofits MUST make if they want to survive in this new funding reality, and how a small nonprofit can start to reach out to corporations-and how to find which ones will listen to you.
4. How to Choose the Right Philanthropic Advisor (Forbes): Good philanthropic advisors quickly understand what inspires their clients and find ways to build on that passion. Some ideas to pass on to donors.
5. Effective Nonprofit Commercials and PSAs (Sumac): If done right, visuals in motion will do two things: help your target audience remember the message—and the nonprofit behind.
6. Charity Event Ideas That Will Get Your Donors’ Attention (Arreva): If you are looking for creative ways to fundraise, these charity event ideas—from fitness to social media and everything in between—are likely to garner the attention your organization needs.
7. Three Reasons Your Volunteers Aren’t Donors (Bloomerang): Why is it that we are comfortable engaging donors as volunteers but not volunteers as donors? Here are three reasons your volunteers aren’t donating to your organization.
8. Five Best Practices for Converting Volunteers to Donors (npENGAGE): Is your organization focusing on the volunteer base that you already have? The value of a volunteer who donates is also on average much higher than a donor only prospect (about ten times higher!).
9. Ten Things That Will Make Your Donors Say “Wow!” | Nonprofit Donor Retention Strategies (Pamela Grow): An older post but one that contains some nice ideas for donor interaction and retention.
10. You Can Now Sign Your Emails by Encouraging People to Donate to Charity (Fast Company): A company has launched a banner ad service that allows email senders to add a clickable message about the charity of their choice at the bottom of each missive, which will appear alongside a corporate sponsor.