AFP Top Ten Fundraising Tips (Week of October 3, 2018): Lightbulb Moments, Recurring Gifts, Donor Visit, Matching Gifts & More!
Need some tips on how to do your job better? Or maybe just a reminder on some key skills, the insight on the latest research, and the latest, coolest ideas from the best minds in the fundraising profession?
Each week, AFP gathers the top blog posts, videos, articles and other resources to help you keep on top of latest trends and reach your fundraising goals. Here’s this week’s Top Ten:
1. Busting Philanthropy’s Myths about Native Americans (The Nonprofit Quarterly): Raymond Foxworth tackles a few of the most cited stereotypes that individuals in philanthropy and beyond hold of Native Americans.
2. The Donor Experience Project: The Penultimate Lightbulb Moments (SOFII): From The Donor Experience Projects, some of the best fundraising “lightbulb” moments that can apply to every fundraiser at every kind of organization.
3. Three Important Goals for Every Major Donor Visit (LinkedIn-Gail Perry): So many people are confused about what they want out of the very important major donor visit. They think their job is to make a fabulous pitch to “sell” them on your organization. But, that’s the last thing you want to do!
4. Budgeting for Your Company’s Matching Gifts Program (npENGAGE): Some good ideas from Sally Ehrenfried about how to set up a company’s matching gifts program, from determining what kind of match you will offer to engaging employees in the process.
5. Five Must-Know Recurring Giving Stats for Nonprofit Fundraisers (Nonprofit Tech for Good): What does recurring giving look like from the donor’s perspective? After giving (or trying to give) to 115 different kinds of nonprofits, the authors learned five key stats.
6. Asking for Donations with Ease – Part 1: The 7 Deadly Fears of Asking (Amy Eisenstein): Part one of a four-part series about asking for major gifts. In the first part, Amy talks about how to overcome the fears that prevent fundraisers from asking.
7. How Canadian Organizations Are Using Facebook for Engagement and Advocacy (Village Vibes): For many in the nonprofit sector, social media tools are necessary but often overwhelming and confusing. To help allay some of their challenges – and help expand their reach toward greater mission success – Facebook has taken a number of steps recently to engage with the sector.
8. The Critical Piece That’s Probably Missing from Your Fundraising Multiplier Offer (Guidestar Blog): An offer that’s built around a multiplier is a good deal for donors, and everybody likes a good deal. But sometimes, multipliers aren’t as effective as they could be when they fail to include a basic piece that’s necessary for response: credibility.
9. Powerful Strategies For Charitable Giving After Tax Reform (Forbes): Some good tips for donors, as well as for fundraisers to explain giving options to donors.
10. Learning from Politics: Hypertargeting (The Agitator): You may not like politics, but nonprofits can learn a lot from political campaigns about reaching out to donors.